Sewing with Some Bold and Bright Prints

I like sewing with bold prints. I let the fabric do the talking. Let me show you a few of my recent (and not so recent) creations.

This first quilt is an updated version of my Dogwood Blossom pattern. I used some solid/blenders from Benartex and the wild and crazy prints of Kaffe Fassett. Such an eye opener!

Dogwood Blossom
My elephant pattern from several years ago. Updated with an older Kaffe Fassett print (which was waiting patiently in my stash). Just needs to be stitched down. This was part of a Windham Fabrics pattern I wrote called Safari Adventures. The pattern is FREE on the Windham site.

Elephant applique from Safari Adventures pattern
Get your sunglasses! This pattern was taken from another one I wrote for Windham. I used Kaffe Fassett fabrics and some bold orange and purple batiks. Basically a simplified version of Double Wedding Ring. Those purple melon shapes are raw edge appliqued to the orange and then to the floral underneath!
Mambo table runner
 I love making Winding Ways (Wheel of Mystery) blocks. These are bold prints and solid shot cottons. A good combo! I used the template set of John Flynn. These are so wonderful and make 10" blocks.
Pieced Winding Ways blocks
Coffee Filter Mariner's Compass: One of my workshops that I'm retiring. That's because in order to get the 20" coffee filters, I had to buy 200 at a time! The center compass is paper pieced on the coffee filter (I'm not making this up!) Then we add a halo of paper pieced flying geese. I've made this 4 times. Too bad all the fabrics are different or I'd have a LARGE quilt. This as shown measures 32" x 32"

Coffee Filter Mariner's Compass
Delectable Mountains without the funky templates. Stitch two large half-square triangles together and then cut into horizontal strips. There are variations on this all over the internet. I devised my own method without any waste. How about that awesome print in the center? It's 12" x 12".
Delectable Mountains
Jack's Chain. This vintage pattern is typically hand pieced. I resized everything so I could use 2-1/2" squares for the 9 Patch units. The center hexagon is interfaced, turned and then appliqued over the hole.
Jack's Chain
Then I made it again:
Jack's Chain, pattern on Craftsy
 I stitched a 6 pointed star, interfaced it and then placed it over the first one. I like it!
Jack's Chain with a 6 Pointed Star as an option
Well, as you can see, I like bold prints. In order to really appreciate them, some solid reading fabrics are needed. They can't ALL be superstars!

Comments

  1. so many lovely pieces here, love the elephant and fascinated about the delectable mountains, not sure if I understand what you did but will have a go. Kaffe fabrics are so delicious and like the variety of Jack`s chain not seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog is just soooo wonderful to receive each day. thank you. is it possible to get the instructions for the coffe filter mariners compass? i would love to try it. thank you,
    shoshana s5821140@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bold colors and prints also. The Mambo table runner is my favorite of these....so much color so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful, Debby, and wonderful inspiration for winter quilting. The challenge will be deciding what to do first! Thanks for sharing! See you at the Cleveland Expo in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Debby! I just LOVE your style using bold beautiful fabrics along with always being willing to try and rework a pattern the way you want to do it. Every day that you share a past or present project is exciting, for me, and I never go away disappointed. Just more inspired! Thank you for creating these spectacular quilt projects and sharing them! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com